K-Trials and K-Tribulations
April 27, 2012 2 Comments
Okay, to be honest, so far I have spent most of my time playing with Ubuntu since it was the first I installed. Deciding to take Kubuntu out for a tour of the web, I fired up the default browser, Rekonq. Rekonq as you may or may not know, is a WebKit based browser that opens quickly and goes from hither to yon at a decent enough pace. However, there is one tiny problem with it, at least on my 23 inch monitor: The font rendering
sucks ass leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, as regards Rekonq and fonts, render is best defined with this definition: to process, as for industrial use: to render livestock carcasses.
What is left of a font after being “rendered” by Rekonq is the bare bones of the font… with a few scaps of meat, tendon, and gristle hanging on. It isn’t a pretty sight, but you can more or less figure out what is being shown just by the layout of the carcass. In this case,
Clusterfuck Unity does a better job of presentation.
After mucking around in the overly cluttered
scrapheap control panel, I finally found the anti-aliasing controls for fonts and with a bit of tweaking here and there (KDE is a GREAT platform for tweaking!)/sarcasm>, my fonts are now fairly legible, although Ubuntu* is still bit better and Windows 7 has already finished the game and went home to have a cold beer and relax.
*For tweaking fonts in Unity, the best advice I found was to install MyUnity which brings kinda-sorta KDE tweakability to Ubuntu fonts.